Life at Balentine
Balentine’s culture reflects a collaborative workforce driven by excellence and a commitment to lifelong learning. Our goal is to create an environment where motivated people flourish. Beginning with a thorough, engaging onboarding experience, our dedicated human capital team offers a complete life cycle of talent development opportunities during your career at Balentine. See our open wealth management jobs below.
Director of Accounting and Finance (Atlanta, GA)
At Balentine, the Director of Accounting and Finance (DAF) is responsible for all accounting functions including payroll, accounts receivable and payable, financial audits, budget and expense management, forecasting, generating reports, analyzing data, and ultimately reporting figures and trends to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), to whom this position reports.
On the Compensation and Benefits side, responsibilities include administration of all the firm’s benefit plans, serving as the liaison with the firm’s healthcare providers by coordinating updates and communicating changes to employees, and by serving as a resource for all employees.
Across both categories, the DAF is responsible for setting internal controls and policies to lessen the risks associated with the financial management of an organization while ensuring the firm is compliant with all federal and state tax and Department of Labor regulations. The multiple components of this position mean that the successful DAF will be skilled in technical accounting concepts, have a solid foundation of healthcare benefits knowledge, and be able to communicate these concepts in varying levels of sophistication.
Balentine is an innovative and entrepreneurial organization that functions as a single team dedicated to excellence for clients and employees alike. To continue our culture of excellence, we have defined the following outcomes required of this position.
Accounting & Financials
- Maintain accurate and timely records of accounting data in Balentine’s accounting systems, ensuring adherence to GAAP
- Pay vendors accurately and on time; resolve any discrepancies in a professional manner
- Accurately complete monthly and periodic financial reports, demonstrating understanding for the firm’s business model and fee schedules
- Meet with key personnel to generate annual budget; provide updated tracking information throughout the year
- Understand, implement, and maintain proper internal accounting and operational controls over revenue recognition, expense management, and effective measure and control over assets and proper financial statements that result in fewer errors such as missed deadlines or miscalculated financial information
Compensation & Benefits
The DAF owns the administration of payroll and expenses, the firm’s 401(k) plan, and all health care and benefit plans offered. Across these functions, this person is responsible for:
- Entering and updating all employee information, ensuring payments and all other transactions are completed correctly and on schedule, meeting both Balentine deadlines and any others as dictated by the relevant governing bodies (such as ERISA and state or federal regulations)
- Serving as the Balentine representative to all associated external providers and partners, coordinating plan-level updates, audit requests, and resolution of miscellaneous items that arise
- Provide accurate financial metrics to the Marketing Team and external partners for participation in industry surveys
- Keep Balentine’s business license and firm insurances current
- Ensure the firm’s tax-related deadlines are met and that information submitted is accurate and complete
While we acknowledge there can be multiple approaches to a job well-done, the below competencies outline
some of the characteristics that we expect to contribute to the success of the DAF.
- Demonstrable, genuine enthusiasm toward both the investment industry and Balentine
- Detail-Oriented – to the extreme!
- A meticulous approach to all aspects of work
- Ability and desire to explore and understand the minutia
- Calm Under Pressure / Unflappable
- Ability to respond calmly and maintain performance standards in an intense and extremely high stakes environment
- Analytical / Critical Thinking
- Ability to think logically through a situation to identify and avoid potential pitfalls and arriving at the best-case and feasible outcomes
- Ability to take sophisticated material and convey its meaning in different formats, adjusting level of detail and technicality to audience at hand
- Diplomacy and Discretion
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully, keeping all confidential matter as such
Experience & Qualifications
- A degree in Accounting; CPA certification a plus
- A minimum of five years of progressive financial management and accounting experience
- Excellent quantitative reasoning skills
- Must have experience in accounting systems and Excel, invoice payment systems, expense payment systems
A competitive compensation package will be offered, including an attractive base salary and benefits. If interested, use the button below to submit your cover letter and resume. Please title the subject line: Director of Accounting and Finance – YOUR NAME.Email Resume
Didn't Find Your Desired Job Posting?
Thank you for your interest in working at Balentine. If our current job openings do not match your expertise, we would still like to hear from you. Please take a moment to send us your resume for future consideration.
At Balentine, the following employees can attest you will not find yourself pigeonholed into a traditional career path with no way out. As an entrepreneurial firm, we ask our employees to take the lead in designing their own career trajectories, traditional or otherwise, and to work closely with leadership to identify and develop skills needed for the next level.
2010: Client Service Associate
2013: Senior Client Service Associate
2016: Client Service Manager
2018: Director of Client Service
2020: Associate Relationship Manager
“I appreciate the entrepreneurial mindset with which we approach every day and every decision at Balentine. It’s important for a firm to stay nimble, and I love that we have stayed true to that approach as we’ve grown.”
2014: Investment Analyst
2016: Senior Investment Analyst
2018: Director of Manager Selection and Implementation
“Balentine has a great story, and I love how the firm’s history has shaped our culture. Being a part of that story as a valued employee keeps me coming back for more.”
2009: Partner and Director of Operations
2018: Partner and Chief Compliance Officer
“Founding Balentine with my fellow partners has been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life. I’m proud of what we’ve built together and excited for the opportunities to come.”
2014: Associate Relationship Manager
2016: Relationship Manager
2018: Head of Financial Planning
2019: Partner and Head of Financial Planning
“The greatest part of working at Balentine for me is the ability to have a real impact on the lives of our clients. What we do matters and it starts with deeply understanding what each client would like to accomplish.”
Looking for guidance managing your wealth? Balentine is committed to providing the education and advice our clients need to realize their goals.