Mark Bell, Ph.D., is a Partner and Head of Family Office Services and Private Capital at Balentine. He brings two decades of investing and leadership experience to this role. Prior to joining Balentine, Mark was managing principal and director at Diversified Trust. He also served as chief investment officer at BlueArc Capital. Mark began his career with McKinsey & Co. and subsequently was director of strategy at D. E. Shaw & Co., a multi-strategy hedge fund manager, where he developed and executed the organization’s private equity investment strategy and launched the firm’s reinsurance business. He later served as the executive vice chairman of Brand Bank, where he led the recapitalization of the bank during the Financial Crisis.
In addition to being a frequent contributor to publications such as Real Assets Adviser, Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, and Atlanta Business Chronicle, Mark has given international lectures at Luxembourg School of Finance, the University of Zurich, Sciences Po, the Vatican, and the Kuwait Fund. Mark is a senior fellow and adjunct faculty member of the Center for Alternative Investments at Emory University’s Goizueta Business School.
- B.A., Stanford University
- M.St., University of Oxford
- Ph.D., University of Oxford
- Diversified Trust Company, Managing Principal and Director
- BlueArc Capital, Chief Investment Officer
- Brand Banking Company, Executive Vice Chairman & Chief Strategy Officer
- D. E. Shaw & Co., Director of Strategy/Private Equity Investor
- McKinsey & Co., Consultant/Manager
Professional Affiliations & Awards
- Emory University, Goizueta Business School, Center for Alternative Investments, Senior Research Fellow and Adjunct Professor of Finance
- Oxford Analytica, Board of Advisors
- Southern Capital Forum, Director
- Georgia Trend, 40 Under 40 (2015)
- Atlanta Business Chronicle, 40 Under 40 (2013)
- Leadership Atlanta Class of 2021, Member
- Leadership Gwinnett, Alumnus
- University of Oxford, Marshall Scholar, Vice Chancellor Scholar & Jowett Senior Scholar
- Stanford University, Dean’s Award & Valedictorian Speaker
- Atlanta Ballet, Advisory Board & Strategic Planning Committee
- Georgia Institute of Technology, College of Computing, Dean’s Advisory Board & Lecturer
- MAP International, Board of Directors & Finance Committee Chairman (Past)
- The Carter Center, Board of Councilors
- The Schenck School, Board of Trustees
- The Westminster Schools, Christian Mission Committee of the Board
- Trinity School, Board of Trustees
- University of Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, Board of Directors
- Emory University, Board of Visitors (Past)
- Marshall Selection Committee, Southeastern Division (Past)
- Michael C. Carlos Museum, Advisory Board (Past)
Why did you choose to come to work at Balentine?
Balentine provides comprehensive advice in a conflict-free environment, and joining the team offered me an opportunity to evolve the traditional investment model into a holistic approach for individuals, families, and institutions. This approach takes into account dynamic goals, family needs, and investment selection in a way that delivers tangible results.
What do you like to do in your down time away from work?
I have twin boys who are great at bridge and a physician wife. Together we enjoy traveling and talking politics. Additionally, over the last decade, I have had the opportunity to teach nearly a thousand exceptionally bright MBA candidates and BBA undergraduates at Emory University. Their engagement forces me to stay on my toes. I am also a bibliophile and have collected and traded books for a long time.
What are your favorite business books?
Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb, a cautionary tale for whenever you think you have it figured out, and Business as a Calling by Michael Novak, a reminder that business can offer a profoundly deep calling and texture in life.
What is the most exotic place you have ever been?
I like to visit to (geographically) small nations and have been to Luxembourg, Andora, Lichtenstein, and the Vatican. Bhutan is on my bucket list.
What is your favorite activity? Why?
I like to visit museums. I find that art is part of an enduring effort on the part of humanity to make sense of life.
Looking for guidance managing your wealth? Balentine is committed to providing the education and advice our clients need to realize their goals.