John Maddison, MBA, CFA, CFP® is a Partner and Head of Financial Planning at Balentine. Based in the firm’s Raleigh office, John focuses on helping entrepreneurs and other professionals with complex planning needs simplify their financial lives. He has more than 17 years of experience working in the financial services industry in New York and North Carolina, serving corporate, institutional, and private clients. John’s entrepreneurial background includes the launch of a new product vertical at GLG (Gerson Lehrman Group), a high-growth, venture-backed technology company and, most recently, the formation of a bank supporting Canadians in the United States. A Chartered Financial Analyst, John served two terms as president of the CFA Society North Carolina, the twelfth-largest CFA society in the country, and was named Volunteer of the Year in 2016 for his leadership and vision. John is also a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional. He joined Balentine in 2014 and was named partner in 2019.
- BA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MBA, Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University at North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- RBC Bank, Senior Manager
- Franklin Street Partners, Portfolio Manager
- Gerson Lehrman Group, Research Manager
- Thomson Financial, Senior Associate
Professional Affiliations & Awards
- CFA Charterholder
- CFA Institute, Member
- CFA Society North Carolina, Strategic Advisory Board Member, Past President & Volunteer of the Year (2016)
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Wake County Estate Planning Council, Member
- Band Together, Nonprofit Partner Selection Committee
- CED (Council for Entrepreneurial Development), Board of Directors
- Christ Episcopal Church Vestry, Clerk
- Christ Episcopal Church Preschool, Past President
- YMCA of the Triangle, Investment Committee
Why did you choose to come to work at Balentine?
I completely agreed with the investment philosophy and liked the team-based approach to working with clients. In many firms, the biggest competition is sitting in the office beside you. At Balentine, the emphasis is on truly providing the best and most objective advice available to our clients.
How does your role fit in the big picture of serving clients?
I am on the front lines directly serving clients out of our Raleigh office. I also lead our financial planning efforts for all clients across the firm. Through my role, I help my clients uncover their most important goals, develop plans for how these goals will be achieved, and ensure that major decisions are made with an understanding of how they will impact their goals.
What inspires you to come to work each day?
My colleagues who all work extremely hard and are dedicated to serving our clients.
What is it that you do at Balentine that gives you the most personal satisfaction?
Knowing that down the road I’ll have a chance to watch my clients achieve their goals due to the plan we laid out together.
If you were abandoned on a deserted island, what single creature comfort would you desire most?
My banjo. With no one around, I could play it as loudly as I want!
Looking for guidance in managing your wealth? Balentine is committed to providing the education and advice our clients need to realize their goals.