What was your best business decision?
Walking away from a comfortable position to join Robert Balentine and my other partners to reconstitute Balentine as an independent firm. It was a huge risk for my young family, but the opportunity to start with a clean slate and build a lasting firm to manage client assets the way in which we would want our own capital to be stewarded has been more rewarding than I could have imaged at the time.
If you weren’t in this business, what would you be doing?
Perhaps teaching in some capacity. Nothing is more rewarding than to help someone finally have that “a-ha!” moment. Having studied theoretical economics and applying those concepts in building my own business, I have developed strong opinions of what the textbooks are missing and how academia can benefit from a practical, entrepreneurial perspective.
What keeps you up at night?
Differentiating ourselves in a perceived “sea of sameness.” Many people believe that independent Registered Investment Advisers, brokers, trust companies, banks, and even consultants offer the “same thing,” when in fact there are important differences in business models and investment philosophies that influence outcomes. Often people spend more time planning their next vacation than planning their investment future.
How do you contribute to Balentine’s global perspective?
I was born in South Africa, continued my education in the UK, and began my career in London. My wife is from Augusta, GA, so we “split the difference” and decided to raise our family in Atlanta.
Adrian Cronje, Ph.D., CFA is Balentine’s Chief Investment Officer and Chair of the Investment Strategy Team. He is a founding partner of Balentine and a member of the Management Committee. Adrian is a CFA charterholder and is an active member of the CFA Institute, contributing frequently on a regional, national, and international level. Adrian’s presentation to the CFA Institute’s Asset Allocation for Private Clients conference, “Revisiting the Winners’ Game,” was chosen by the CFA Institute to be included in its prestigious publication Conference Proceedings Quarterly. In 2010, the Atlanta Business Chronicle named Adrian one of Atlanta’s Top 40 under 40, an honor designating the region’s up-and-coming business and community leaders.
– B. Com (Hons), University of Cape Town (Economics and Accounting)
– M. Phil., Cambridge University (Economics and Finance)
– Ph.D., Cambridge University (Macroeconomics and Econometrics)
– Wilmington Trust, Senior Vice President & Chief Investment Strategist
– Schroders (London), Director, Deputy Head of Quantitative Equity Products
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & AWARDS
– Atlanta Business Chronicle Top 40 Under 40 Award (2010)
– Atlanta Society of Finance and Investment Professionals, Member & Course Instructor
– CFA Charterholder
– CFA Institute, Future of Finance Initiative, Member & Approved Speaker
– CFA Society of the UK, Member
– Emory University MBA Program & Georgia Institute of Technology Quantitative Finance Program, Guest Lecturer
– Rotary Club of Atlanta, Member
– South African Budget Speech Competition, Winner (1995)
– Vistage 151, Member
– A+ Squash Board of Directors, Founding President
– Agnes Scott College, Investment Committee, Trustee and Chair
– Atlanta Hedge Fund Challenge, Judge
– Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta, Endowment Committee, Former Member
Meet Our Team